[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
gardenofficeplans.com • View topic - Introduction

Introduction

Read this first, this explains how the book and website will work together.

Introduction

Postby oddjones » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

The concept for the book came about when I built my garden office in the summer of 2009. I blogged about the build at (If you've not read the blog, that will give you a good idea of the size of the project). The building went on to win the garden office section of the hotly contested "Shed of the Year" competition in 2010, leading to many requests for a set of plans to help people to build their own version. I've been struggling with the plans for the past 2 years - I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I've restarted the book about 3 times. It's dawned on me that I'll probably never finish the book - the trouble is that the design is very flexible and every time I go back to it, there's another chapter to add.

Rather than simply not publish the book, I recently happened across the "leanpub" self-publishing technique. For those of you familiar with "Kickstarter", the process is similar... You get to buy the book while it's still being written, at a price you decide. Then, as I publish more of it, you get free updates forever - until the book is finished.

This forum is a vital part of that process - I am committed to helping everybody who buys the book to complete their garden office to the best of my ability. Anybody who's bought the book can post any question here and I will provide such advice/help and assistance as I can. Also, it is hoped that as more people get involved we will build a "community" of shed-builders here who can add their own input based on their own experiences.

As I write this I'm in the process of converting the book as it stands to the leanpub format - I've got about 70 odd pages to transcribe. Once that's done, the first published draft of the book will be available in ePub (iPad/iPhone), mobi (kindle) and PDF(everything else!) formats in the one download. The first draft will contain basic instructions and diagrams to walk you through the entire process of the basic build.

I will be putting together a full itinerary of releases on the leanpub site. In the meantime you can register your interest in the book there - you will be informed by email as soon as the first draft is available.

SHËD: Build your own designer garden office for less than £2500 :
oddjones
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

Postby oddjones » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 am

You'll be glad to know the first draft of the book is available to download from
oddjones
Site Admin

Return to What's it all about?